Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dalton now the ‘solar energy capital’ of Georgia?


Source: GB Chronicle


With Phase I of his company’s 1 megawatt photovoltaic project near Dalton already generated electricity, United Renewable Energy’s Bill Silva has declared my hometown the “capital” of something other than what it’s best-known for. We have over 1 MW of installed solar capacity in Dalton, the ‘carpet capital,’ which is now the solar energy capital of Georgia,” says Silva, president of the Alpharetta-based solar integrator. Silva was prepping today for yet another celebratory photo op Wednesday at what I’m pretty sure is the largest single photovoltaic project now under development in Georgia. Phase I is generating 350 mw already, and the project is planned to completed over the next three years in two more phases. The project is owned by Georgia Power, which then is selling the energy to municipally owned Dalton Utilities. Other relatively large users of solar electricity in the Dalton area include carpet manufacturing plants.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking to build a small home solar charging system, and I'd like to go to a store so that I can get advice on how to build it and what I can expect from the size of panel I can create. Where is the best place to buy solar panel supplies?

    solar panels georgia

    ReplyDelete